The phlogistinator is over powered.

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by coltmanfraco, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lol

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Spark

Spark Owl King Staff Member

Fahrenheit has a point though. Team Fortress 2 is a team-oriented game and measuring a players ability based solely on their performance in pubs doesn't give a very good assessment of skill. Pubs emphasize your ability to get frags and do objectives on your own, while in team games it's entirely different. Also platinum players are miles ahead of your typical pub player. Most can't even rocket jump straight up, much less chain jump. Most pyros can't airblast (which is why the phlog is so popular, they never use it anyways so why not take advantage of how bad they are?) most spies just try to go for stabs even after they're discovered and have to butterknife, snipers use the huntsman so they don't have to aim, etc. High level competitive play is literally a measure of how well you can work with your team to complete an objective, and it's not just because they know each other's playstyle.

3. Debatra

Debatra Paranoia levels are rising...

And now they've nerfed it again. It takes longer to charge and no longer heals you.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Spark

Don't have any real objections there. Now it's emphasized as an ambush weapon instead of "I'm bad and can't position gib me da crits bOss". Taunting in LOS of enemies is now probably the worst idea you can have.

5. Debatra

Debatra Paranoia levels are rising...

Yeah. I'll reserve most of my judgment for after I see it in action (haven't played in a while), but it looks good. I think I still prefer the pre-buff version (healing and heavy damage reduction without invuln meant a quick-thinking enemy could still bring you down), but this looks good.

Or maybe that's just because I main Spy and a mid-taunt backstab still got the kill. ;)

---

Actually, I just got an idea. Remember when the Escape Plan and Equalizer were one weapon? Maybe something similar would work for the Phlog. Two weapons, functionally identical until they're fully charged. When the charge is used, they both give Uber and knockback-immunity for the duration of the taunt. One fully heals you (maybe even some overheal?) but gives no other benefit. The other works just like the current Phlog.

What do you guys think?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Aegis

Aegis Administrator Staff Member

Well I think it's a bit more than that. The individual skill required to play competitive (good aim, good gamesense) will automatically make you better than any pubber (no matter how long they have pubbed). To become better at TF2, you have to play with/against better players, and let's face it, that doesn't happen in regular servers.

I don't believe it's exactly an elitist point of view. It's like this for every game/sport ever. You can't become an NHL level player by only playing street hockey.

7. Spark

Clearly you've never seen the mighty ducks