The phlogistinator is over powered.

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by coltmanfraco, Oct 20, 2015.

1. coltmanfraco

coltmanfraco Scarcely lethal member

2. Bonus

Bonus Snakey individual

Backburner OP.

3. Chrismas95

Chrismas95 Always watching Staff Member

I haven't heard that much complaining about it, actually. Wonder if people just stopped caring or if it was changed or something.

4. Azureus

Azureus ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Staff Member

It hasn't been changes mechanically since the Pyromania update in 2012, outside of MvM, that is. I figure most people just figured out that is was garbage in most situations and started to counter it efficiently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bonus

Bonus Snakey individual

Demoman is OP, I say nerf sticky damage. Oh wait.

6. Zopeda3K

Zopeda3K Imported Fresh

It either works or not nowadays. Kappa

7. Debatra

Debatra Paranoia levels are rising...

spy knife is op valve plz nerf

8. Shory

Shory Scarcely lethal member

I'm so old.

• Old Old x 1
  9. Darkrevenge

Darkrevenge Burning all day every day

Jesus fucking christ. That long ago?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Debatra

Ironically, they actually felt the need to buff the Phlog.

11. Daikenki

Daikenki My shitposts have valet parking

Colt what the fuck are you doing predicting the future?

12. Spark

Spark Owl King Staff Member

It's not like Ace made a video about how the Phlog isn't overpowered or anything b-baka...

13. Chrismas95

Chrismas95 Always watching Staff Member

Hopefully people will just forget about it eventually again

14. Debatra

It's not like he's never been wrong before. His comments these days are only really valid in competitive, and sometimes not even then. Let's face it; Aegis is getting to be a bit of an elitist.

15. Spark

Yes, but he makes a different extremely valid point. Pyro is normally a support class and the phlog changes his role. In pubs any strategy can work if you know how to play your class well or if you even just rely on random melee crits so I don't really like using them as a justification for balancing a weapon. A pyro without the phlog can protect against spies, soldiers, and demomen much more effectively than a pyro with the phlog. Airblasts are extremely useful against ubers, crits aren't. Plus a phlog is still limited to close range so it's entirely possible to kill him unless you get ambushed. In an ambush the backburner also has the possibility of heavy crits, so to each their own.

I just don't think it's as OP as everybody is saying. It's annoying as fuck to play against and gets spammed too much thanks to everyone circlejerking about it, but it's not necessarily broken. If they knocked off some crit duration or some overall damage it would render the weapon extremely weak outside of a handful of situations.

16. lol just because he only talks about comp makes him an elitist?

17. Debatra

He has literally said that competitive players are automatically better than people who play pubs.

18. Yeah? you gonna argue that? That's like saying a footballer is an elitist if he says he could probably beat an average joe in a pickup game. Doesn't mean he looks down at him

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Spark

They're not necessarily better by default (iron and steel league aren't much above pubs in terms of skill) but competitive rankings are a good indicator of how good someone is while pubs don't really mean much. Hell, anybody can do well in pubs with just about anything. I don't think calling competitive-level players better than casual players is elitism. Generally my experience with the phlog in pubs is that unless he can get in a good ambush from behind it won't really outperform the flamethrower because his taunt makes him an easy target if you back out of range and blast him immediately afterwards. This whole phlog fiasco has really made me wonder if the backburner just isn't popular because it's less flashy since it does very similar things.

20. Debatra

Yes I am. The pub/comp relation is nothing like that between a professional athlete and some random guy on the street. Whether you're public or competitive, you're still playing the same game in the same conditions. If anything (and I disagree with the idea that either is "better" than the other), playing pubs is harder because it's less predictable. You may end up on a team with four Snipers, then have them all switch to Medics and Pyros halfway through the game.

If you took a competitive team and put them up against nine random people that main in the classes they play at the time, the team will usually win just because the randoms might not communicate and most likely don't know each others' styles. Those are the only advantages though. DKE vs nine randoms that actually communicate effectively? It's anyone's game, depending on individual skill. And I still won't say that whoever loses is somehow inherently inferior than the winner.