MGS5 (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Steam Games' started by hoi, Oct 18, 2015.

1. hoi

hoi Ramen Kider

So its been a bit over a month since MGS5 came out. What did you guys think?
    Did u rike it? I preordered the game around my birthday so I decided to get this fully priced game and I gotta say after all the hours I poured into it that it was worth the full price. Although I might not have as high standards for paying full price for games.

What did you guys think of the plot? I thought it was pretty alright, but I can tell it's not as good as the other MGS plots despite this being my first MGS game. As for the gameplay it's some of the best for 3rd person action stealth games I have played.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I ain't gonna read this thread since I'm not done with it so I'm just gonna give you my screenshots i have so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Operation: Red Wings:

[​IMG]

Ok see you guys when I finish the game in like 2 years

3. Michan

Michan Punished "Blind" Snake

I felt that the game had a lot of padding to it. The Side Ops are just repetitive and not as unique as other MGS games have had in the past. On the other hand, gameplay was absolutely fun and I'm still having a ball, despite finishing the game (100% is hard).

Don't get me started ON THAT FUCKING LEOPARD TORTOISE OH MY FUCK THAT THING IS THE RAREST THING OF ANY GAME!

4. also

*SPOILER ALERT*

That last guy is Big Boss' dad

5. Michan

[​IMG]

6. you'll earn your red wings some day

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ok but seriously I'm unwatching this thread now so I dont read some loser's post about skullface's balls or whatever

8. Azureus

Azureus ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Staff Member

I've been looking at MGS5 quite a bit lately, but I wanna ask you guys a question first. Is the game better on PC compared to consoles? I'd have to do some upgrades to run the game perfectly, so I was wondering if it's worth it for the PC port.

9. hoi

hoi Ramen Kider

PC, the game is really well optimized for PC, also you can add your own music to the helicopter speakers, plus mods if you ever feel like it, only downside is no Metal Gear Online 3 til January

10. Azureus

Azureus ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Staff Member

Well damn, I figure I should start looking at upgrading my rig, then.

11. Michan

It can run surprisingly well even on older rigs, you will just encounter some lag spikes in Africa. If you play and run Ground Zeroes fine, then you will be able to run MGS5.

12. i have beaten the game

I wish to discuss if you guys are open to it

13. Michan

The struggle is real to get 100%

14. Darkrevenge

Darkrevenge Burning all day every day

60% complete. Around episode 36 or something. First MGS I have played. I really like it so far. Really dumb though that you have to replay "episodes"

15. yeah.

16. I'm pretty content with my 56%. I want to keep playing just because MGSV is a fun game to play but I will not do all of the stupid side ops.

17. Michan

The FOB missions and such are really fun to do. Build a nuke, get invaded, defend until it gets stolen, build another

18. Darkrevenge

Darkrevenge Burning all day every day

The amount of fuel resources you need though is insane......

19. Michan

Best way is to farm em or steal em, pick your poison. I'd prefer to steal em, more fun that way

20. Stranger

Stranger Unremarkable member

I'm just gonna write out my thoughts on MGS5. This post will contain spoilers from MGS5. Please finish the game before reading this.

The game started out with a long and crazy horror scene that left me thinking I was in for a Metal Gear Solid game. After this introductory sequence I found that I had played the game for about 25 hours without anything of significance happening. You pop into missions and are given brief context on them, but most of them serve no purpose in the full story. Soon after that point, the game started to lose it's luster for me. I'm a big fan of Hideo Kojima's previous work, MGS3 is close to being my favorite game based on it's gameplay alone, and the way it's story works is brilliant! I love the camp and action hero one liners, they fit the tone when I thought that was impossible. MGS2 also has a fantastic story, and is my favorite MGS game because of it's subject matter and methods of storytelling. MGS5 doesn't play into the previous games good points at all. The stealth aspect and methods you can use to sneak around and cause mayhem are the best they've ever been, but there's not many interesting things to do an massive and empty map where your main collectibles are useless animals and plants. The open eorld gameplay does not fit well eith MGS stealth, the gameplay challenges always feel like they can be overcome in incredibly stupid ways. For example, an early mission in which you destroy 3 radars can be completed in under 50 seconds if you have previously destroyed that areas anti-air radar. You can fly your helicopter to the more dangerous drop zone, while flying there shoot all 3 radars with your helicopers minigun. Easy S rank, but no, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything. This same dilemma existed in MGS3 on lower difficulties. The easiest way to play MGS3 is to equip thermal goggles and silenced tranquilizer. However, if you don't like how simple that is, it's much easier to impose challenges on yourself. Raising the difficulty will cause your silencers to break very quickly, and batteries to go doen much faster. In MGSV, there's no way to make yourself avoid the easier ways of playing, the game encourages you to finf ways to steamroll it's missions. I guess that's pretty interesting, but it's not very fun for me. There aren't even any real difficulty options.

When I first saw it, mother base seemed like a really cool addition. Too bad, it's even more empty than the other maps. The only times you go there of your own accord are when you want to see Huey's battle gear progress, want to give Paz a photo, or want to refresh your mental health. By the way, in all of these cases you have to sit through loading screens and helicoper scenes. Which brings me to my next problem. I've seen the fucking helicopter fly down 40 times already, why do I have to watch it again? Why can't I just skip it?

On to the story. I know for a lot of people story isn't really that important, but I believe that combining both story and interaction are what can make games the unique works that they are. Games can be excellent without it, but everything can be enhanced with good writing. I'll make this comment quick, but the writing in general is just off. Where the writing in previous games had their own style and ideas, MGS5 borrows it's ideas from previous games. The biggest example is Kaz dramatically saying he's been waiting for you to say "kept you waiting, huh?". It's almost like the writers were thinking they could make people like it by trying to make internet memes. They also use dramatic camerawork and delivery to make a scene seem more important, instead of making it actually important. Best example of this is when boss covers his face in the ashes of his allies. His speech is dramatic and emotional, but that's all it is. Anyway, nothing happens for half the game and then you sit in a truck with the antagonist. He dumps information on you about why he's doing what he is, but he's never completely specific, so you're still not completely sure why he's doing what he is. Then he dies. Of course, I ignored everything about vocal cord parasites and stuff, but there's a reason. All of the story arcs prior to this are already complete or near their end. What makes this worse is that none of those story arcs are connected to you, the player. You just walk in and they progress a little. The story is effectively a series of sub-plots that contribute to nothing greater. This is a huge mismanagement of time the game would be more engaging if more time were put into the games main story. Just think, this game has more cutscene length than MGS3 but most of them come from the sub-plots. Quiet, Huey, Paz, Eli, the child soldiers, an D-Dog all have multiple cutscenes dedicated to them. Skullface and the enemy forces have more than they do individually, but they have more as a whole. But none contribute to the main plot. It's silly, really.

I'm just about done, but I'm gonna write about the ending. It's essentially the same as a "Thanks for playing!" message at the end of a game. You're big boss, and big boss is you. The players are the ones who brought us this far. You don't have to look up to the legend, you are the legend. Yeah, fuck that. The ideas behind this are interesting, but they're anti-climactic and less realized than the twists in MGS2. One of the main ideas of MGS2 is to be yourself instead of trying to be somebody else. MGS5 almost feels like it's telling me to pretend I'm big boss. It isn't actually doing that, but it's close.

Closing out on this, the game is pretty good. It does many things well and I greatly enjoyed many of the things I did within it's world, but this isn't Metal Gear. This may as well be a stealth focused game made by Bethesda.